Author Topic: oil of oregano ...how much to use?  (Read 11053 times)

mike cmt ch

oil of oregano ...how much to use?
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »
unfortunately, recently I was forced to use oil of o. as my usual supply of organic purple garlic is out.  :( I looked everywhere for dosages but only found conflicting facts everywhere on the net. Some sources say 3-4 drops a day, some say 10x daily, others say 4-6 drops daily. ::)  I dont usually use oil of o. as im not a big fan(as its expensive... 16.00 for 30 ml). Organic purple garlic is around 1.25-2. per bulb and usually i need only 2-3.

I know several individuals here prefer oil of o. to o purple garlic so im going to ask what is the deal with the dosage? How much can I take daily and for how long? any experences?

ps the bottle has no recommended dosage on it. >:(

livingforj

• School of Natural Healing Sign up page
Re: oil of oregano ...how much to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »
all depends on the what the intended usage is.

for general upkeep of the mouth/teeth/gums, 1-3 drops on the toothbrush is good.

For immune system items place drops under the tongue, hold for a few seconds, then mix with water, gargle if you can and swallow:

small items 3-4 drops, 3-4 times a day would be enough
medium/high level issues 5-6,  for a flu more like 7 time would be good

It is also good to alternate this with grapefruit seed extract. Icky tasting stuff. And that one would be 5-6 drops in water for medium issues, and 9-10 for the big guns 3-5x a day.

Now, I have been told, and I believe it is true. When using oregano oil for a long course of time, continuously for several weeks, you begin to loose some since of taste. So there needs to be practiced the days/weeks of rest with the herb.
The information here it is just my opinion. It is neither for diagnosing nor treating any disease or aliment.

Do you like what you see? Want to learn more?
Click the website link (the earth to the left) and sign up to the School of Natural Healing and learn how you can take care of yourself.

Ligure

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
It depends on the dilution of the OoO. It is an essential oil and so should not be taken straight. From personal experience, I agree. It is HOT. Recommended dilutions vary. Regular strength is generally around 1:10. Extra strength is generally around 1:4, and children;s strength is around 1:20. All are OoO:olive oil. When I am sick with a cold, I take 5-6 regular strength drops under my tongue 2-3x a day a half hour away from meals. For a chest/sinus cold I also rub it on the neck or chest (whichever has less hair).

For tooth and gum care I swish with 1TBS sunflower oil mixed with a few drops or regular strength OoO for 10-15 minutes before brushing.

I hope this helps.

Ligure

mike cmt ch

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »
let me reiterate what you mentioned so I have it straight, for the flu one would take 3-4 drops 7x daily?

What is the maximum I can take in a day, or is there any?

your answers are helping thnks ;D

livingforj

• School of Natural Healing Sign up page
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »
Flu would be under medium/high level issues 5-6 drops under the tongue, between 3-7 times a day-depends what you can handle and what you think you need at that time.

As soon as I start to feel better, I back down to 2-3 drops 1-2 times a day. The stuff is too strong for a long course of time. A few days at most.

Also sometimes around flu season, after brushing my teeth, I will place 1 drop under the tongue, hold for the count of 5, take a mouthful of water, swish, gargle and swallow just for general upkeep of immune.
The information here it is just my opinion. It is neither for diagnosing nor treating any disease or aliment.

Do you like what you see? Want to learn more?
Click the website link (the earth to the left) and sign up to the School of Natural Healing and learn how you can take care of yourself.

Ligure

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »
Yes you can take too much. As with any EO it can be hard on the liver and kidneys. I know of one woman that mistakenly took two droppersful of the regular strength 3x a day for a couple of days and ended up with diarrhea. It reset her intestinal flora. She resolved it by dosing up on probiotics and enzymes. What she took was like 9 drops of the straight EO in one day for a couple of days.

Ligure

Ivygreen

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
  I haven't noticed any adverse side effects from taking oregano oil, except that the taste was coming out my ears!   Ligure is right: it  all depends on the strength.