Author Topic: How do we make cayenne ointment?  (Read 4786 times)

mbrooks

How do we make cayenne ointment?
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
I'm having trouble find the formula for cayenne oil to use for making cayenne ointment, also, how much wintergreen essential oil and any other oils should go into the ointment? I really have searched and searched the site and my materials for the first three courses to find this info...has anyone tried making it? I would like to make my own to apply over the BC&F oil and ointment to help take it deeper for healing.

idabelle

Re: How do we make cayenne ointment?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:16:57 AM »
Salve Deep Heating Balm ingredients are Olive Oil, African Birdpepper (Cayenne), Oil of Wintergreen, pure distilled mint crystals and beeswax-found on Herbal Legacy but w/o proportions.

mbrooks

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:53 PM »
Thank you.
In Herbal Legacy, I find:
44. Cayenne salve. This penetrating salve contains olive oil, cayenne, oil of
wintergreen, pure distilled mint crystals and other herb oils, in a beeswax base. It is
excellent for stiff necks, sore muscles, headaches, pain, stiff joints, arthritis, etc. Source:
Deep Heat Balm.
Anyone know what the "other herb oils" are and what kind of mint crystals are used-peppermint?

Mrs.Wings

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
when it comes to essential oils I find you only need a few drops added
 you can get a blend and add 10-20 drops or play with your own blend of oils and add a few drops  of each

I would say you could use peppermint, spearmint, you could add Myrrh (great for bruising and injury, anti inflammatory), clove (pain, anti inflammatory, analgesic/anesthetic),  chamomile (relaxant) , marjoram (arthritis,muscle nerve pain) birch (anti inflammatory, antispasmodic, muscle nerve pain) 1-5 drops or so of each one you choose.
as you can see there are many that would work, I would say look at the oils and see what they work with and play with your own blend.  that is my thinking.
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. Thomas A. Edison
I am here to help share my knowledge & intuition, I give no diagnosis, predictions, or prescriptions.

mbrooks

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:57:52 AM »
Good idea, thank you.

mike cmt ch

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
there are 2 types of mint chrystals one is synthetic and should not be used and the other is natural although I heard its hard to find and will melt plastic containers ;)

mbrooks

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
I wonder if it is important to use crystals instead of essential oils?

Ivygreen

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
The oils may be more potent, as far as a burning agent, but as a carrier ingredient, the menthol crystals would be more effective.
 This is just my opinion, as I have not made it myself.  But when I've use the oils, I have found blending the essential oils of wintergreen, the mints, thyme, etc. to be unsatisfactory as a heating salve: they need a carrier, or "fixative", and I think that is why menthol is in all the commercial products.  I'm still looking into it, though, because I'd like to make my own also.
  Mountain Rose Herbs (you can find them on-line) sells menthol crystals by the pound, if you are interested.
Good luck!

cuttergap

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »
I purchased both camphor and menthol chrstals at a very reasonable price from Frontier Herb as well.
Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not to thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct thy paths.  Proverbs 3- Trust in Me....